Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars
Did I miss something?
I feel like I haven’t seen or heard from any of you in, well… What seems like ages. I feel as though it’s been months since I’ve posted any of my random garbage or anything else that seems to probably steal 15 minutes of your life.
Sorry, you’ll never get those minutes back.
But really, I think it’s only been, what… Four or five days? What is wrong with me?
Oh, right. I know. Four years of college have gotten to me… Undoubtedly. And the worst part is I haven’t even been back for a week. Ugh. Problems.
It’s time to start thumbing through the pages of my political science textbooks and journals, which are overflowing with so many academic and sophisticated things. It’s time to put on the big girl pants and get crackin’ on my senior thesis… Most of you probably wouldn’t expect this, but I consider myself a relatively intelligent person… At times… Okay, only when I want to be.
Where is this going? Noooo idea.
Most recent news?
1. Currently, the most intimate relationship I have right now is with a muscle roller and a bag of ice.
2. Oh, and I’ve been totally annoyed with how guys always seems to look so good in suites whereas I can’t even pull off wearing short skirts or cute dresses because of my broad shoulders and weirdly-shaped torso. Struggles. I should just deal with the fact that I’ll forever live in sloppy attire and messy up-dos.
3. Does anyone else think that Ann Romney is absolutely dripping with class?
4. No? Well then, does anyone else think it’s totally okay that I have a minor crush on one of my professors?
5. And is it bad that Rebecca Black still pops into my head at least once every Friday?
6. I’ve been using this bubblegum pink lipstick recently… It’s my new lip treat. Mucho like. Maybe I’ll start wearing it to class for… Academic purposes. See #4.
7. Oh, and I totally had an awkward moment yesterday when I bumped into someone and apologized, only to realize that it was a statue of a bird.
So I made these bars last week while my roommate and I were dog-sitting for her boyfriend, who is INSANE, by the way. Do you remember how I cut my toe and fell into a hole? Yeah… Well, totally her fault.
Molly is cute as a button but as sneaky as can be. She’ll try to fool you and as she sits as innocently and as gently as a butterfly on your sofa and wait for you to leave the apartment. While you’re gone, don’t be upset when you come home to find pee in the hallway, trash dragged throughout the house, and a pan of freshly-baked granola bars totally gone. Every. Last. Crumb. And trust me, I don’t think it was my roommate.
These bars totally tickled my nose with a rich, roasted oat aroma. They are sweet but not “ouch-dang-my-teeth-are-hurting” sweet. Course, you can make them sweeter if you’d like by adding a few tablespoons of brown sugar. I lifted one while my fingers were covered in sticky sweetness and completely sunk my teeth into the chewy texture filled with melted chocolate, sweet raisins, and thick-cut oats.
Eating one square inch of chocolate cherry oblivion made me forget about my ever-growing to do list, the laundry pile stocked in my closet, and the fact that I’m up to my ears in work. It also made me forget to shower. Whatever… So you lose some and you win some.
The point is… I’m totally addicted. And they are totally healthy.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars
Inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction
(yields 10 squares)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
50g (a little more than 1.5 ounces) dark chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup dried cherries
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly spray a 8×8 (or 9×9) baking pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together, flour, oats, dark chocolate, dried cherries, and cinnamon.
In a separate bowl, beat egg. Combine butter and applesauce and mix until incorporated. Pour into flour mixture and stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Stir in honey, then vanilla extract. Lightly mix to combine until all ingredients have been incorporated — the batter should be gooey and sticky.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan and bake for 20-22 minutes until sides are barely browning.
Cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Nutritional information (per square): 190 calories, 6.5g fat (2.5 sat, 1 mono, 1 poly), 28g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 3.5g fiber